Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Forty is the New Thirty

DH celebrated his 40th birthday last Sunday with a simple lunch together with some members of our extended family. He wanted a quiet celebration so we just stayed at home and prepared some food. It was a lovely coincidence that his grandma, aunt, and niece were visiting someone near our place the day before, so they ended up staying the night in our house and joining us for his birthday lunch the following day.

I baked him a carrot cake (my first), roasted chicken (another first), and made classic pinoy sweet-style spaghetti that his family surprisingly liked. I guess coz it's different from the spaghetti that they're used to. (Note to self: have a stock of the sweet-style sauce).

DH helped me by mixing the cake ingredients and basting the chicken every 15 minutes for two hours. He joked that I was making him work on his special day. But if I did it all myself, I bet you lunch would've turned into dinner!

I'm happy that I'm learning to cook a lot. The carrot cake and roasted chicken turned out delish. I've always thought that cooking is extremely hard. Now, I'm learning that it's not and that it's so much fun and rewarding. I'm also lucky that DH loves to cook. I can't imagine being the only one  responsible for preparing our meals.


me with the birthday boy

carrot cake

it came out good!

pinoy-style spaghetti

right out of the oven. so yummy!

i wonder what he wished for

looking goofy

pretty Lilly

with mom, grandma, aunt, and Lilly

Besides his turning 40 being a milestone of sorts, DH's birthday this year is extra-special since he is to become a dad for the first time. He also had a successful knee reconstruction surgery. He's been going to physical therapy religiously and his knee is on the way to being fully mended. This year is also his last in the navy. He's retiring in March 12.  I'm happy and excited at the new horizon awaiting him. Thankful to the Lord for always keeping him safe, sound, and well-grounded.

To my DH...Happy 40th! You're the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment